One of the fastest-growing industries these days is cyber crime prevention. The tech industry has been given an enormous task trying to detect and defend the daily onslaught of attacks and the insurance industry has been challenged with trying to figure out how to cover unfortunate data breaches.
|Image credit Perspecsys Photos via flickr|
After seeing the, almost daily, reports of major cybercrime incidents, I wanted to find out just how prevalent cyber crime is and how big the challenge is to businesses. The results were amazing and alarming. Have a look:
Cyber Crime Stats
- It is estimated that the annual global cost of cyber attacks is $$400 billion.
- The average total cost of a data breach to a US company is estimated at $6.5 million.
- The average annual number of cybersecurity incidents is 80-90 million.
- 20% of small to mid-sized businesses have been targets of cyber crime.
- Microsoft sees over 10 million daily cyber attacks on its digital infrastructure.
- The most targeted industry for cyber attacks in 2015 was healthcare.
- More than 40% of consumers have been victims of credit or debit card fraud.
- Cyber criminals have, on average, 200 days lead time before their attack is discovered.
- The cyber insurance market is valued at $2.5 billion and growing.
- 70% of cyber attacks go undetected.
Bonus: The password voted the worst for cyber attacks in 2015 was 123456 (seriously, people actually used it)
Labels: cyber crime, ecommerce, Tech